Project Daytona – Part 2 – Installing crash protection


With the chain and sprockets done, it was time to move onto the next phase, crash protection. Lets get straight into it.

To start off, we needed some crash protection. Introducing, GB Racing.

img_7683
Clutch cover, engine covers, engine sliders and chain guard.

First off, we have to remove the fairing. For some guidance we turned to the Triumph 675 forums. For a detailed guide on how to removed the fairing, check out this link, http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=894.

img_7673
Here’s the bike in its current form. Time to remove that fairing so we can access the engine.
img_7674
The bike has some road rash already, here’s hoping the new covers clean up the appearance.
img_7677
With the side fairing removed, it was time to take off the front nose cone. This isn’t necessary to install the engine protection, but we need to get access to the steering stop as it is damaged.
img_7678
Time to take off the nose cone.
img_7679
And now the air intake.
img_7681
Here’s the bike with the air intake off. If you click on the photo and zoom in, you can see the damaged steering stop.

Removing the fairing was pretty easy. The only issue was some plastic coming off with the bolts. As for the steering stop? The repair of that will be covered in another article.

Now, time to install the crash protection. Again we used the Triumph 675 forum as a guide. Here is the link we used, http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26981.

The installation went off without a hitch, except the engine sliders. The front engine bolts were stupidly tight. In order to reach them, you need to unbolt the radiator and push it forward. Then the bolts required 3 socket extensions and a swivel head just to get to them.

img_7685
Engine covers installed.
img_7686
Clutch cover.

img_7687

img_7688
Here you can see the sliders too.

zoomed-in

 

Since everything was apart, it was a good time to give some things a clean up. The sump and shock were filthy.

img_7690
The sump is a mess. 20 bucks if you lick it.

So, that’s the crash protection installed. Overall, the quality of the GB Racing products is top notch and they look great.

But alas, there is no rest for the wicked. There is still plenty of work to do. In the future the fairing needs to be repaired and there is oxidisation on the engine block to be cleaned up. Next up, we’ll be installing a new steering stop.

Hopefully by this time next week, I’ll have a new Danmoto exhaust to install on that CBR track hack of mine. In the mean time, check out my older content and subscribe on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Youtube.

Keep it OnTheBackWheel people!

 

 

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s